Israel & Gaza 10.29.23
Just a few thoughts today as the war in the Middle East continues to rage. Obviously we should all be praying every day for the peace of Jerusalem and that area of our world. Conflict has been ongoing as we can trace in the Old Testament and throughout recent history. Especially since Israel was declared an Independent State by the United Nations in 1948. We know that permanent peace will not happen until Jesus returns for the second time and established His earthly Kingdom for the 1,000 years we refer to as the “Millennial Reign.” In the meantime, let me share 5 quick things that I’ve gleaned recently from Christian apologists, Jeff Cavins.
- The Gospel is truly the “Good News.” Peace will never come to nation until individuals in that nation submit to the love of the Father and place their faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus said “I am the way the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father but by me.” John 14:6. The Gospel changes the way we react to situations in our world. “A new command I give to you,” said Jesus. “You should love one another. Love your enemies. Love those who hurt you. Our response must always be through the Gospel and the command we are given in Luke 6:31: “And as you wish that men would do to you, do so to them.” Luke 6:31. We are to treat others the way we want to be treated.
- The battle behind the scenes. What we see is the earthly manifestation of a spiritual battle. God and Satan continue to war in the heavenliness. This is ultimately men being used of Spiritual powers, to rob people of the intimacy with God that He desires for all of us. We don’t battle with the same kind of weapons as human wisdom might dictate. We need to pray, fast, intercede, love, and trust as we see the horrors unfold before us.
- A Spiritual “Iron Dome.” Just as Israel has developed an effective missile defense system called the “Iron Dome” the Lord has provided us a “Spiritual Iron Dome.” When Satan begins to attack we don’t need to panic. “Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the devil’s wiles……stand firm….take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit……pray at all times in the Spirit.” (Eph 6:10-20). Remember, the battle is the Lords. Too often we try to fight battles that we were never intended to fight.
- Be Horrified – The mutilation and death of babies and children should do more than concern us. We should be horrified. But, let’s not cast judgement on others unless we horrified here in the U.S. with the killing of babies for convenience sake. Lord, have mercy!
- Talk to Your Children & Grandchildren – You don’t have to share all the details but most likely your family has knowledge of this war. Don’t be afraid to use this as an opportunity to contrast the ways of the enemy with the ways of Jesus! Deuteronomy instructs us to teach our children the ways of God. To talk when we sit in our house, when we lie down and when we rise. Use this opportunity to teach the loving ways of God that is often lost lost in our current culture.